Earlier this fall, the Indiana State Department of Health released a request for proposals for a Tactical Urbanism Demonstration Project grant program. Nora Alliance, in conjunction with partners including Bicycle Garage, Inc. and Ball State Center for Civic Design, submitted a proposal for the 86th Street Monon Crossing corridor. This November, our proposal was awarded a grant by the Indiana Department of Health Community Planner. This was followed by a early 2023 grant from the Central Indiana Bicycling Association (CIBA).
Sign a petition to advocate for a safer crossing at 86th and the Monon Trail.
Many thanks to the numerous organizations who voiced their support for our demonstration project proposal and the longer-term safety improvements at this important intersection. We are still soliciting support from any organizations that wish to show their support. The project will also require support from the Engineers at the Indianapolis Department of Public Works. Assuming we get DPW support, we will also need:
- Design and execution assistance (Winter 2023, Spring 2024)
- Assistance with petition signature gathering for more permanent changes, including a tunnel (Winter/Spring 2023)
- Donation of project materials (orange barrels during installation, paint, planters, rollers, reflective tape, plants, temporary rumble strips, temporary bollards, etc.) The more we can get donated or purchase at cost, the farther the grant $’s will go. (March/April 2023)
- Installation of project elements (April 2024)
- Citizen-led traffic study to have data to compare to July 2022 study (July 2023),
- Assistance with maintenance of project (May-October 2023)
- Assist with removal of project elements (October 2023)
Fatal accidents at this intersection have prompted renewed attention to the design of the street and path connections. Recent coverage:
Would you like to be involved in the design and execution of a tactical urbanism demonstration project in Nora? Reach out to us or attend our next public meeting.